Metrology is the science of measurement; it is a strategic method for the precise measurement of manufactured parts. Engineering and manufacturing utilise these strategies to ensure repeatability and accuracy.
A&M undertakes precision Measurement in our climate-controlled metrology room with the capacity of four Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMMs):
Metrology Common Standard
Metrology provides a common standard for all international manufacturing processes and measurement systems.
We typically measure within 10 microns tolerance (much smaller than a human hair) to meet required drawing specifications.
We use a Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) system to define engineering tolerances with computer generated drawings and 3D models. This tells our engineers and customers the allowable variations within the product assembly and standardises how any variation is measured.
A&M undertakes precision measurement in our climate-controlled metrology room with the capacity of four Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMMs):
- Hexagon Global Performance 12.30.10 with Leitz analog head Technology
- IMS Merlin
- Aberlink Axiom Too
- Mitutoyo CRYSTA-Apex V with Renishaw analog head Technology
Learn more from our Mitutoyo CMM Pure Precision Case Study
Additional specialist inspection equipment includes:
- Hitachi Vulcan handheld material laser analyser for Positive Material Identification (PMI)
- Keyonce Image Dimension Measuring System capable of up to 100 simultaneous measurements performed in seconds
- Renishaw XL-80 Laser Calibration Interferometer offers high performance measurement and calibration for motion systems, including CMMs and machine tools
- Shadowgraph imaging projectors
- Creaform portable handheld 3D Laser Scanner, with reverse engineering and 3D model generation capabilities
We conduct a CMM appraisal of all our manufactured components, and full traceability on materials.
Our metrology services comply with Aerospace Quality Management AS9100 and NADCAP Aerospace AS7003 standards and BSI Quality Management EN9100:2016 covering EDM wire and spark erosion and CNC and precision machining.